Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring!

This week's toddler storytime celebrates spring, which has arrived early here in Iowa this year.  

We will be reading:

Kitten's Spring by Eugenie Fernandes


Spring Things by Bob Raczka


and Wake Up! Wake Up! A Springtime Lift-the-Flap Book by Nancy Davis.


Our flannel rhyme this week is Five Little Flowers from Children's Programming Monthly, vol. 1, no. 7, p. 10.


Five Little Flowers
Five little flowers grew by my door.
I picked one for my mother, and then there were four.
Four little flowers, pretty as can be.
I picked one for my father, and then there were three.
Three little flowers, what could I do?
I picked one for my sister, and then there were two.
Two little flowers out in the sun.
I picked one for my brother, and then there was one.
One little flower, isn't this fun?
I picked one for you, and then there were none.

We will also make music to "Weather Rhythms" from H.U.M. (Highly Usable Music) by Carole Peterson.  I will distribute rhythm sticks and we'll use them to make the "pit pat" of the rain and the thunder.

Our craft this week was designed by Mallory, one of the youth library assistants.  I also used the pattern to make the flannel flowers for this week's rhyme.  We used our circle and scalloped circle punches to punch out the circles for the flowers, we cut out the leaves, and children will glue them to craft sticks to make flowers.  For a 3-D effect, children can scrunch the edges of the scalloped circle.



No comments:

Post a Comment