Thursday, May 24, 2012

Flannel Song: Little Sandman

Our summer library program starts in just over a week, and this week’s flannel song is for storytime that week.  We’re using the national theme, Dream Big: Read, and our subthemes are Asleep and Dreaming, Night Owls,  Space Adventures, Night Shivers, and Dreams and Wishes.  My flannel for week 1, Asleep and Dreaming, is “Little Sandman,” the Brahms lullaby.  I’ve seen at least two different versions of the lyrics, but I took my favorite bits from each and combined them into this version.  During the last verse, I'll sprinkle a little clear glitter onto the flannel child's face.
















Little Sandman
Beneath the silvery moonlight
Like tiny sparkling gems
The flowers all are sleeping
Upon their slender stems.
The trees wave gently to and fro
And whisper soft and low
Slumber, slumber,
Oh, sleep my little one.


The birds you heard this morning
Have long since gone to rest
And now are close together
Safe in their downy nest
And there they lie so still and warm
Secure from every harm.
Slumber, slumber,
Oh, sleep my little one.


Now comes the little sandman
In every house he’ll peep
To find the wakeful children
Who will not go to sleep
And then a little sand he tries
To sprinkle in their eyes.
Slumber, slumber
Oh, sleep my little one.


I’m going to be brave and try this a cappella…we’ll see how it goes. This is the most subdued flannel song I’ve tried, so I hope my storytime children will enjoy it. 

Check out all of this week's Flannel Friday posts here.

3 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    Your pieces are gorgeous!

    Do you mind if I ask where you got your patterns? I especially love the layering on the tree. I can see making a tree for each season with this pattern. Now I just need to find the right rhyme to go with them. :o)

    Thanks for sharing!
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, K! I used clip art from IClipart, a database my library subscribes to for staff use. I should have mentioned that!

      Delete
  2. Love this!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete