Thursday, June 7, 2012

Flannel Friday: Five Little Rockets


This week’s flannel is for toddler storytime during our Space Adventures week of the summer library program.  The rhyme comes from a link to teaching materials on NASA’s web page at: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/147266main_3.2.1.Liftoff_Activity11.pdf.  I’ve changed the last verse so it makes sense for one rocket, and I’ve added a countdown to blast off.  We can’t possibly have a rocket rhyme without a countdown!



Five Little Rockets
Five little rockets ready to zoom,
This one says, “There’s not enough room.”
It starts its engine;
Ready to fly,
Looks at the others and waves good-bye.

Four little rockets…[continue counting down to one rocket]
One little rocket ready to zoom,
This one says, “Everyone’s gone!”
It starts its engine;
Ready to fly,
Looks at us and waves good-bye.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blast off!


We’ll also do a song from the same NASA page, sung to the tune of “I’m a Little Teapot”:

I’m a Little Rocket
I’m a little rocket, tall and thin.  [stand with arms stretched overhead]
Here is my nose cone.  [fingertips meet overhead to form cone]
Here is my fin. [hold arms from sides pointing down like fins]
When I get all fired up,
Launch begins.
Watch me rise  [jump up]
And see me spin! [spin in place]

The Flannel Friday roundup this week is at Recipe for Reading!

5 comments:

  1. I love your flannels and rocket rhymes. NASA wouldn't usually be my first destination for storytime inspiration, but I too found some great stuff there - loved their Soda-Straw Rockets - for older children, or premade for wee ones! http://www.nasa.gov/centers/jpl/education/soda-straw-rockets.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea for storytime! I haven't done space in such a loooong time. Any suggestions for books to share?

    LQ, I have never visited the NASA site but I will be Bookmarking it now. I have made the rockets before though and the kids LOVE them! I actually have plans to make some frogs using the same basic idea. Oh, and maybe stars, too ~ like a shooting star! That would fit right in with my upcoming Nursery Rhyme and Fairytale Land program...

    Thanks for the inspiration, Kelly. I love the way you color coordinated your rockets using to shades of one color for each. adorable!

    Have a wonderful Saturday!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I'm getting ready for a 'Going to the Moon' storytime this summer. These are perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flannels, great topic...you have just been placed on my TO MAKE list! Thanks ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this set and they turned out ADORABLE!! I used a large star sequin instead of the circles tho. Can't wait to use them!!

    ReplyDelete