Saturday, February 18, 2012

Love and Kisses

Our toddler Valentine's Day storytime was the week before, since toddler time is on Wednesdays and Fridays at one of my libraries. We read I Love You, Mouse by John Graham, How About a Kiss for Me? by Todd Tarpley, and Zero Kisses for Me by Virginie Soumagnac.




We did Five Pretty Valentines as a flannel poem--another one that has been done by Flannel Friday folks:
Five pretty valentines sitting in the store,
I bought one, and then there were four.
Four pretty valentines waiting just for me,
Mom bought one, and then there were three.
Three pretty valentines--one is bright blue.
Dad bought one, and then there were two.
Two pretty valentines sitting in the sun,
Sister bought a valentine, and then there was one.
One pretty valentine standing all alone,
Brother bought that valentine, and now there are none.


I realized after I'd made these that one was supposed to be blue, so I stuck a blue construction paper heart on one of them temporarily, and I'll make a fancy blue one for the next time I use this one.

We also did a flannel song called Which Hearts Are the Same? sung to the tune of Happy Birthday.  This is another idea I got from one of my storytime resources, and I'll add the citation this week.  I and one my assistants cut out hearts of various colors--we kept one set and distributed the rest.  Children were asked to put their hearts on the board when they saw one of the same color there.  I put one of the colored hearts on a small flannel board, sang the song, and circulated through the crowd so children with the matching color could add theirs.  We repeated the song until everyone had a chance to add their hearts.  Simple, but fun.

Which hearts are the same?
Which hearts are the same?
Please tell me, please tell me,
Which hearts are the same?


No comments:

Post a Comment