Saturday, February 18, 2012

What a Hoot

For toddler storytime next week, we'll have an owl theme.  We'll read Little Owl's Night by Divya Srinivasan, Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton, and Wow! Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood.





I found our flannel rhyme at Sunflower Storytime .

Five Hoot Owls

Five hoot owls sitting in a tree.
One flew away! How many do you see?
One, two, three, four.

Four hoot owls sitting in a tree.
One flew away! How many do you see?
One, two, three.

Three hoot owls...etc.




And our flannel song also comes from Sunflower Storytime.  I really liked the look of the birds from A House for Birdie from Miss Merry Liberry, so I made my birds like those.

Owl in the Tree (sung to the tune of Skip to my Lou)

Owl in the tree goes, "Hoo, hoo, hoo,"
Owl in the tree goes, "Hoo, hoo, hoo,"
Owl in the tree goes, "Hoo, hoo, hoo,"
Hoo, hoo, hoo, my darling.

Robin in the nest goes, "Tweet, tweet, tweet..."
Duck in the pond goes, "Quack, quack, quack..."
Rooster in the yard goes, "Cock a doodle doo..."



Our craft will be paper bag owls.  We used this craft at our Diagon Alley event in December at our Eeylops Owl Emporium, but I've adapted it for toddlers by having the pieces already cut out.  They'll just have to stuff the bag, fold and staple the top with the help of their grown-ups, and glue on the eyes, beak and tummy feathers.  Instead of cutting the bag for the tummy feathers, I've cut out bigger circles that they can use markers to dot for the feathers.  We found this idea on Pinterest, but the link no longer exists or I would post it.

1 comment:

  1. Your flannels are so cute. I am going to start using some of your ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete